Mt. Zion History
"We invite you share with us in the worship and praise of the one true God at the church where "Everybody Is Somebody."
The Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church was founded in a residence at 1326 Lee Avenue in the year of 1910, by Mr. and Mrs. Peyton Adams. There were five (5) other dedicated Christians with a Godly purpose in mind that continued their service under the leadership of Rev. Sales and John King until 1913. In the year of 1913, Mt. Zion was recognized as a Baptist Fellowship, by national and local religious authorities. And under the leadership of Rev. James Taylor, there became a need for a larger building to accommodate the growing membership. Two lots located at 1533 and 1535 Dewey Avenue; were both purchased and the new church was built, at the current location.
Mt. Zion was destroyed by fire on October 27, 1955 and reconstruction was completed in February 1957.
Rev. James Taylor was succeeded by Rev. B. Patrick (1943), Rev. R.F. Hairston, Jr. (1947), Rev. R.L. Hairston (1966), Rev. J.A. Thrower (1967), and Rev. G.A. Adair (1985). These men kept the vision alive and strived towards the mark of the high calling of God. There is evidence that during the time of these pastors, the church continued to prosper and grow spiritually. Christian education programs were expanded and outreach programs were instituted. The Missionary Society is still active in the Lott Carey Foreign Mission.
On April 4, 2003, Elder Lance E. Humphrey accepted the call to serve as Pastor of Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church. Christian education and spiritual development are a top priority of the ministry of Pastor Humphrey. Under his leadership, Mt. Zion is flourishing both spiritually and financially, and the membership is growing at an exemplary rate. Through his leadership the church has acquired 3 homes, purchased (7) additional lots, including rental property, (2) alleys and (1) street.
Pastor Humphrey spear-headed an extremely successful building campaign: “The Rehoboth Blessing Building Fund”. The groundbreaking ceremony service was held on September 24, 2006. In the year of 2008, the construction for the new Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church began and the estimated completion date is December 2008. The cost of the New Church Building will total 1.1 Million Dollars. On March 8, 2009, Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church held our first service in the New Church Edifice. In the year of 2010, God has opened the Gates of Heaven and prepared Mt. Zion to begin Phase 2 of the Rehoboth Blessing, “To God Be The Glory”.